Saturday, December 25, 2010

Dead PC

I was playing WoW the other day, when my PC decided that it would be a good idea to turn the screen mostly purple, and freeze.

Naturally, I was annoyed about this, but I rebooted and decided to load up WoW again and continue. 10 minutes later, the same thing happened again.

I reoobted again, and was greeted with funny coloured lines across the BIOS screen, then a's with the ' mark above it all across another loadup screen, and when it reached the Windows loading screen, it was in a much lower resolution than my regular 1900 x 1200. Oh, and it refused to get any further than that - I could not open Windows.

Safe mode loaded for me, and looked fairly odd with purply blue lines through the screen. Apparently Windows decided I had not done anything on the computer since I got it that was worth creating a restore point for, so there were no points for me to try and restore the computer to, so I let it try to auto-repair... which failed.

Taking a photo of the issue and passing it to my girlfriend, who then posted it on the omni-present Madboards in an attempt to get help yielded the diagnosis which had crossed my mind, though I had fervently hoped it was untrue - my video card was fragged and I needed a new one.

Having planned a full computer upgrade early next year, I took it upon myself to simply move said upgrade to now. I asked some friends for help (since I know very little about hardware. Sure, I know theories behind how a lot of stuff works, and when some of the newer stuff is explained to me I can make sense of it, but I am a programmer, not a hardware junkie), and placed an order with MWave - a computer store not too far away from my home, that offers reasonable prices, and quite quick delivery. Seriously, I ordered a G15 keyboard from them one day, and it arrived the next. Scary fast!

Escept that I had missed the ordering cutoff for delivery before they closed down for the Christmas Holidays by about 5 minutes. So here I am without a working computer for about 2 weeks (they don't reopen until January 5th - which means that for my entire 2 week holiday, I am without a computer since on the 5th I'll be down the south coast!)

So, posts will be much less frequent during the next couple of weeks until I get my computer repaired/upgraded/replaced and working again.

Merry Christmas (for yesterday) and Happy New Year, catch yas all when I can :P

1 comment:

  1. =\ Sorry I couldn't help you any more/any faster

    Happy Solstice RooGoo

    ReplyDelete