Monday, December 6, 2010

Working from Home - not as easy as it sounds

So, today I work from home, due to some failures in the office that render their phone and internet connection nonexistent.

This doesn't seem to be a huge issue since we're moving offices tomorrow, but it does making coding in an unfamiliar language hard enough to warrant taking the laptop home and working on it.

I never realised how difficult it would be to work from home! I have family members bugging me (thankfully gone shopping at the moment but due back in an hour or so), pets running around barking me as if to ask what I'm doing home, and if they could have some food, and the other major distractions of home.

I refer, of course, to the Internet, and games.

Yes, the Internet, which I need for work, is more of a distraction than a help when I am at home. I believe this may be because I'm sitting at my desk at home, on which more often than not I'm flipping through Facebook, blogs and gaming sites, and playing games!

And restarting on WoW last night doesn't particularly help matters.

I've managed to keep gaming out of the equation. Well, apart from testing the game I'm working on, but that counts as work anyway. However, the Internet has been a tougher cookie to crack.

I did find an article about RESTful development, which explains it to me in a manner I understand better, and I believe my future Rails code will improve for it.

So, if I ever have the choice to work from home or the office, then the office it is, for the sheer value of being out of my home, and thus removing most of the distractions/comforts of home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment