Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Test results are in... Meoo part 2?

So, today I left work a bit early to see a gastroenterologist. A post from this here blog a couple of weeks back explains that I had a test to determine if I am Celiac - and today was result day.

I was quietly freaking out in the reception area for an hour or so (freaking out mainly because I fully expected to be told I need another blood test - the last time I had one I was unconscious on the floor within 5 minutes of the deed being done due to my natural aversion to and failure at stomaching anything even remotely medical) until I was eventually called in by the doctor. I was the last patient there, and the doctor seemed kinda glad that the day was almost over!

So I enter his (quite large) office, sit down, and expect to be told I need moar blood tests because, at first glance, I was told I did not have Coeliac Disease.

Well, first impressions are often completely wrong - and in this case, it was indeed. I have been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease, and need to have a gluten free diet for (most likely) the rest of my days.

This means that anything containing gluten (ie, anything with wheat, oats, barley, malt, or rye in it) is off limits. This means bread. This means donuts. This means biscuits, cake, and cookies. And pancakes.

However, there is a surprising amount of things that are perfectly fine! Many a place sell gluten-free versions of their products (gluten free pizzas! gluten free pasta!), rice is fine, as is corn.

This means that plain flavour Doritoes are fine (other flavours are not due to the flavourings containing flour and such). This means popcorn is fine.

But most importantly, this means BACON, the staple food of geeks, is perfectly safe. In fact, all meat is, as long as it isn't contaminated with gluten by say, crumbing it, or covering it in a sauce (sauce is always questionable). This means there will be much eating of steaks, as well as BACON.

Ahh bacon, saviour of my very existence yet again.

1 comment:

  1. Snap. But at least you know now.

    "Krugg cook. Krugg burn things. Things like BACON!"

    ReplyDelete