Sunday, May 15, 2011

Stories from McDonalds - SCIENCE!

Every workplace has a token idiot. Well, most workplaces do. My one doesn't... unless that idiot is me. Which I suppose is a perfectly reasonable conclusion to come to, though I sure hope not!

Anyway, my point is that my prior workplace - McDonalds, is utterly full of them. Full enough that I have quite a bunch of stories I find quite amusing from when I used to work there, so I thought I would share a few of them, beginning with today's post.

One of the shifts I was consistently subjected to while working there was known as "Walkers", which was taking the delivery off the truck and putting the stock away in a neat and orderly fashion. I quite enjoyed this shift, since it did not require me to be in uniform, and was a great way to get away from the bustle and heat of the kitchen, as well as other crew members that cause me no end of torture.

Well, except for one - since Walkers was a two person job (as well as the truck driver, but he really doesn't do much after throwing the boxes of stock at us). Quite often I had a rare good crew member with me to help. Of course, I occasionally had idiots too.

On this particular shift, all was going well enough. The freezer had been unloaded, but was woefully overstocked as per usual. The dry stock, which lives in a room temperature stockroom rather than a fridge or freezer, was also unloaded, and we were up to simply putting the stuff away and rotating it (so that food gets used before the use by dates - contrary to popular belief McDonalds actually does follow most food safety laws).

We were unpacking the bottles of flavouring for the coffees - for some reason we had fancy flavourings for the coffees in the McCafe of our store. As you would expect, these boxes contained bottles of the syrup. These bottles had lids on them, as one would also expect.

For some reason, my crew member took the bottle, turned it upside down, and was amazed when the lid prevented the syrup from pouring out. He was amazed enough that he called out to me (I was in the hallway getting another box) to get my attention, and when I appeared, he exclaimed "LOOK! Science!"

And all I could wish for was that he had GLADoS' vision of science imprinted upon him, and he go and scientifically discover the height that he could safely jump from without spilling the dust that was contained by his skull all over the concrete.

2 comments:

  1. For the people who've signed up to be injected with preying mantis DNA, we've got some good news and some bad news....

    ReplyDelete