Sunday, May 8, 2011

Paintball

Last Saturday I attended a Paintball party for my friend's birthday. My birthday was the day after, but I wasn't about to bring attention to that fact considering that paintballs hurt, and people tend to target the birthday people more when they have the ability to do so. 

Rule: Don't camp - that's for bitches.

Taking this (nonexistent) rule to heart, while I didn't necessarily charge forward like Leeroy Jenkins, I did refuse to stay inside my base and do nothing. My goal was to actively move ahead and seek out the opposition. When this strategy was combined with the difficulty I had seeing anyone else on the field - friend or foe (the goggles made my glasses fog up, making it hard to see anything really), it tended to result in my getting eliminated quite early, but I got to take a lot of shots at people!


 Above: not quite me

This really came into its own in the later games, where we went onto a field known as "The Graveyard". It was literally a graveyard setting, with huge tombstones as the only form of cover. This worked wonders for our team (the green team), as the evil black squad had spent the entire day camping - being the wusses they are. It was impossible to camp on this field - a fact which I made painfully apparent to many opposing players by advancing up the right side and flanking them. My machine gun upgrade made this quite painful for some of the players who weren't quite so quick on the uptake that they had been shot, which leads me to my next point...

Rule: When you're shot, walk off the field!

A few of the matches we played were merged with another group, to make a large skirmish. The problem here? Many players in the group we merged with were flat out cheating bastards! In paintball, when you take a hit, you put your hands up, call out "HIT!" and walk to the Dead Zone - a waiting area for the people who had been eliminated. At the start of a match, you have some time with "extra lives", where being shot simply sends you back to your team's start point.
So, how do you cheat? Simple! Take a hit and don't walk off. Admittedly, this is discouraged effectively to a degree, since if you've been shot and don't walk off, you can keep being shot, which tends to hurt. Quite more so, after the fifth or sixth hit.
There was one guy in the aforementioned match, who "won" the game for his team by hitting the flag thing he was supposed to. I watched him do it, after being shot around 12 times and continuing to run for it. Then diving at it, whilst still being shot. So much for fair play - if you get hit, be a sport and walk off the field. Which leads me to...

Rule: If someone has their arms up, stop bloody shooting them!

The amount of times I continued to be shot while walking off the field... if I knew who was doing that they would have copped a crotch full of machine gunned paint.

While I make this sound like it sucked, it was actually a really fun day. I just hate when people cheat (in general). It was great to be running around, shooting people (even though the majority of the people I didn't really know well). I had a few great run ins where we were fairly close to each other and simply unloaded our guns at each other. While quite painful, it was also hilarious. I remember a quite clear standoff I had on the graveyard like this, where the other person involved claimed he won because he kept shooting me in the face as I was shooting him in the legs. Sure, if this was a real life situation I would be dead and he would simply have lost a leg, but this is paintball. I felt nothing since the helmet protects my head. He'll be feeling the effects of a good 15 shots to the legs for a few days, most likely.

Yes, my legs still hurt. I'm not sure if it was due to all the running I don't usually due, or the amount of welts I have on my legs due to being shot. I suspect the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment