Sunday, February 27, 2011

Burgers

I have been utterly craving a burger.

Ever since I was diagnosed Coeliac right before Christmas last year (and it feels SO much longer than 2 months ago), I have been unable to have a burger, due to the buns obviously containing gluten, being bread and all.



Curse you, burger, for looking so awesome!

It's quite a change, from being able to go to the local burger hole with Andrew and Mark for burgers every second week or so, to being completely unable to. I could go with them, but that would simply be an exercise in frustration, getting to watch them stuff their mouths with giant burgers of the awesome variety, while all I can do is sit and watch. Perhaps order one without the bun. Assuming they didn't add bread crumbs or something to the meat, which is entirely possible.

Hell, I can't even get chips from that place, since they cook battered fish and such in the same oil, contaminating what would be otherwise perfectly gluten-free fried potatoes. Bastards.


I cannot even comprehend the awesomeness of this beast

I even managed to find a burger shop which did gluten free burgers. Awesome, they even looked really good. But they're in Newtown. How the heck am I going to get to Newtown without driving for like an hour? Driving an hour for a burger strikes me as slightly insane. It was, however, almost getting to the point where it would be worth it.

Which is why last night was so damn awesome.

My mother found a place that did gluten free bread rolls. Yes, gluten free bread is horrendous, but my dietician offhandedly mentioned last time I visited him that people tend to not have such a problem with the rolls - that they're different somehow.

So last night's dinner was a burger, on a gluten free bread roll. The roll wasn't amazing, but it doesn't have the horrendous aftertaste that the regular GF bread leaves. However, the fact that I was having a burger, and it was edible, and it didn't make me sick, made me so very very happy.

Well, at least until next week when I get blood taken to test for how I've progressed. That's likely to go about as well as it did last time - ending with me on the floor in a less than conscious state. Eugh.

2 comments:

  1. My self imposed diet is having the same effect, but at least you can eat gluten free burgers. I had hot-dogs yesterday and now have to punish myself for the next week to make up for it :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I'm sure that next time the dietician will put me on the bird-seed diet to lose the weight I'm putting on as a result of recovering from Coeliac.

    He's not worried at the moment since the important part is getting used to the GF diet, but I've definitely put weight on >_<

    ReplyDelete