Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Best Laid Plans...

I posted last Friday about a planned busy weekend. Well, it turned out to be nowhere near as busy as expected - indeed most of the plans got thrown out of the window!

Saturday morning, Sarah and I (and her mother) headed to the mall to do our shopping. This consisted of looking for new shoes, getting some Christmas present rings resized (they were too big for us - and yes, by us I mean both of us - we got one each), and then finding Sarah her PS3.

We got quite lucky on the PS3 search - we headed to JB HIFI and looked at their deals - the one we were interested in was $599 for the PS3 and standard controller etc, and 3 games. These games were Final Fantasy XIII (yay!), Gran Turismo 5 (blegh!) and The Ashes Cricket thingy (ewww).

Of course, being a geek herself, Sarah had no interest in Gran Turismo 5 and cricket. She managed to convince the store worker to let her choose two other games of comparative cost - of which she chose Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (after having played it coop with me), and some other $10 samurai game, the name of which escapes me.

After that, I received a phone call from my mother - my grandmother was going to go out with the family for lunch on Sunday, and I was expected to attend. Except that I had already planned (and informed her) of the plan to go to the Code Geass marathon with the cosplay group. She suddenly remembered that plan, let me off the hook, and then told me to not to tell her of plans too far in advance or else she'll forget.

I plan on telling her about my next trip to Japan the day before I leave.

Sarah had been feeling fairly ordinary for most of the week, unfortunately, and decided against going to the marathon. This left me trying to find my own way there - the plan becoming that I would return to my home area and link up with Andrew, who would be driving in later on. After ensuring that Sarah didn't mind me going without her (I rarely get to see these people, after all) and that she was going to take the medicine we bought for her, and rest, I left - deciding that I would work on the cosplay costume at the next available opportunity.

By the time I arrived in Andrew's vicinity, I was also feeling ill. I called and cancelled, then went home to rest. The killer here being that a few hours later, I had completely recovered! It was an ill feeling from my Coeliac... as I am still recovering I still have odd attacks semi-frequently. Not fun at all.

On the other hand, I got to finish F.E.A.R: Perseus Mandate, but the less said about that the better. My GOD that game is bad...

So I tried to look on the bright side - Sunday I would get to see my grandmother and go out for lunch with the family - something I hadn't done in a while.

After waking up (and freaking out that I was in my own bed on a Sunday morning - something that hadn't happened for almost a year), I was informed that my grandmother had hurt her back, and so the lunch wasn't happening. I took matters into my own hands, and drove up to her place to visit. I hadn't seen her in ages, after all!

I arrived and we talked for a while, though she was keeping a hot water bottle on her back to try and relieve the pain. When said bottle got cold, I decided to refill it for her - I wanted her to rest.
In the process, I somehow manage to pour a large amount of boiling hot water straight onto my right hand. It hurt. A lot.

I ended up spending the next two hours running my hand under cold water, and occasionally putting ice on it, to relieve the pain. Nonna wanted me to go to the medical center, but I was having none of it - after calling home to ensure that we had some form of burn treatment (turns out we did), I got her to sit down and rest again, and left for home.

Air conditioning in cars is an utter godsend. If it weren't for that cool breeze on my hand, I may not have made it home.

Once I got home, I put this burn cream on. It did a great job of inflicting much more pain on me - though the burn has mostly healed now. My hand is still red, but it doesn't hurt now. It just kinda looks bad.

The moral of the story is: don't get sick, and don't let anyone else get sick. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment