Sunday, April 3, 2011

Japanese food, Arcade, and Walking

Walking. Lots and lots and lots of walking. But let me back up a bit.

Last week, it was brought to my attention that a certain person I know, normally residing in Bathurst, was in Sydney for the weekend, due to the uni he works for deciding arbitrarily that he doesn't know enough about iPhone programming, and so sent him to Sydney for a programming workshop, that lasted from Friday through to Sunday.

That's my theory anyway, why else would they send him to what seemed like a beginner's course on iOS programming?

Anyhoo, Sarah and I met up with Tiger for dinner and wandering around the city post-work Friday evening. We started by dropping by his hotel room so he could check in, and people could drop off things if required.

HOLY CRAP the room was HUGE. For one person, it was slightly overkill - a double bed (it accomodates two people max apparently), a huge loungeroom with a large TV (and lots of mirror's for seemingly no reason), a decently sized kitchen and bathroom. It even had a hat rack! Awesomesauce!

After that, we headed to the small Japanese 250 yen store, and the grocery store below it. I forget the name of the place. Anyway, Tiger spent copious amounts of money on random objects and foodstuffs (that he can't easily get hold of in Bathurst), while I was happy with a single bottle of Ramune, and a packet of random Ramune flavoured candies.

From there, we headed to Kinokuniya, where we looked at manga and just books in general until we were kicked out (it was around 6.30 by the time we got there, after all, and they close at 7pm). From there, on to Pepper Lunch! Foooooood!

Afterwards, we headed to Capitol Square to try some of the prize-winner games there. Noone managed to actually win anything off the claw machines, though I managed to lose about $3 without even having an attempt at it. The machines just kept eating my money, without letting me even try the claw thing.

Most likely the machine was scared I was going to win.

It turns out that the place also has pachinko machines there! Totally worth the $2 I spent to only half-understand what I was doing. I have the general idea of how Pachinko works, but I still kinda don't quite get it. I should read up on it at some point, I suppose.

After that, GALAXY WORLD! We walked up the street to the "proper" arcade, and played games. DDR, Guitar Freaks, a couple more prize winners, and DJ Max Technika 2. Oh God Yes Technika!

For those who don't know, Technika is a game where you pick a song, and you play it on a touch screen. It is kind of similar to Elite Beat Agents on the DS (or Osu! Tatakae! Ouendon), in that you tap circles on a touch screen in time with the song. However, in Technika, you have the top half of the screen moving left to right, and the bottom half going right to left, so you end up with a generally kind of circular motion of notes.

It also has some pretty good music, that will stick in your head forever if you give it half a chance.

Afterwards, we headed back to Tiger's hotel room, sat down for a bit (since we had walked all over the city between each destination by this point). Eventually, it was time to leave, and catch a cab home.

Fun night. Tiger, you better get yer ass up here to Sydney more often!

1 comment: