Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Japan - Kingdom of Characters

As mentioned briefly at the head of the last post (for the 2.5 of you who actually read this), before heading off to Distant Worlds, Sarah and I also gave the Japan Foundation's "Kingdom of Characters" expo a look. While it was an extremely small expo, it was quite interesting.

A lot of the information was about how Japanese characters have evolved, from Doraemon and Hello Kitty to the newer Pokemon and such. While the information was interesting, it was kind of difficult to focus on when there were plenty of large statues of iconic characters, as well as a bunch of people walking around looking at these, and taking photos. I found it particularly difficult to read the section on the 80s or 90s (or whenever Evangelion was originally released) due to the people trying to take photos of the big, green... thing behind me (I had to move to get out of their photos, but then I couldn't read the poster thing).

Much of it ended up just being Spritza and I taking photos of the statues and things, so here are a few of them. Enjoy!

Ultraman got nothin' on me

Big, kind of scary green thing

It's not until you see this statue of Rei in person that you realise 
how much of a stick figure everyone in that show is

It's only a Gundam. I can take it

Giant Hello Kitty!

Somehow, the photo of the Hello Kitty bedroom from the corner of the expo seems to have not appeared in my possession. Pity...

1 comment:

  1. Love the kitty... The bee like character also looks pretty. Japan is the real kingdom of characters.
    -Business Pictures

    ReplyDelete