Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Beep beep bloop

One thing that strikes me as odd is how people can have such wildly differing tastes in music. It is a strange phenomeon, don't you think?

This guy is amazing

For example, when I take a look around my office, I see a few people who's music tastes I have literally no idea of. Then I see the guy who has an eclectic mix of psychedelic trance, general electronica, old school one hit wonders, basically every song ever. He has a song which is 7 minutes of printer sound effects, which does a great job of hurting my head.

I see the guy who listens to mostly rock. Many forms of it, I suppose, though there was nothing that was really screamy when he's the one in control of the music. Mainly because 99% of screamy songs are inappropriate for the office, so he plays things like Greenday, Audioslave, occasionally Tool (which have a lot of inappropriate stuff, so I suppose he's either gone for the least offensive stuff, or just doesn't care at some points).

I see the girl who plays Indie rock, mostly bands of which I have never heard of. Occasionally a band I have heard of (Kaiser Chiefs - and even then I only know the song because I have a trance remix of it somewhere).

And then there's me. I listen to a combination of rock, dance, and some random stuff (soundtrack and so on). Mostly, when in the office and in control of the music, I play trance. Partially because its different from the rest of the office's music, partially because its great music to code to (particularly since I have a lot of more progressive trance, so it builds up and breaks down a lot - great for a long day spent coding), but mostly because I like it, and don't listen to it enough.

I have never really understood gangsta rap, or pop. Nor will I ever, I can rarely bear either of these genres. That made working at MacDonald's very difficult when I was there for eight and a half years, the majority of the other crew were 14-16 year old kids with no taste in ANYTHING, or intellectual capability. And hated trance because it wasn't their music.

No, I'm not bitter. Not at all.

Lately, though, I've been listening to more and more chiptunes. Chiptune is a style of music reminiscent of old video games. Ever play Super Mario on the SNES? Not the newer ones, the actual SNES one? Yeah, that's a chiptune.

Her Laser Light Eyes by Nullsleep - awesome


I think I'm addicted.

What strange styles/bands of music are you into? I mean strange by, not mainstream. Dragonforce perhaps?

Also, any mention of Rebecca Black will be punished by death. Using kittens with lasers. They will eat you with their... laser eyes. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

1 comment:

  1. I like listening to movie music scores. Next time you're coding, try listening to the musical score from Pirates of the Carribean. Prepare to feel awesome.

    ReplyDelete