Monday, January 24, 2011

PC resurgence?

I noticed something odd about this year.

Most of the games that I know about and really want to buy this year, are games that I want for the PC, and would never consider going for on a console.

This is quite strange - the last time I had many a PC game to look forward too is beyond my memory. Most likely it was in the dark ages before I had a console that still had games being developed for it!

Let's start with the most obvious one - Diablo 3 comes out this year. While there have been rumours of a console release (I cannot recall off the top of my head if they were confirmed or not), I was horrified. Diablo was released on console once. I played it for about 10 minutes, and trying to control it was like stabbing myself in the brain with a wiimote. Even though the closest thing to a wiimote in video game usage at the time was the Power Glove.
Even if the game is released on console, I'll be taking it on the PC thanks - a mouse just works so much better for this kind of game.

On a similar level as far as control scheme goes is Dragon Age 2. The first one had console releases, which I refused to even look at. It'd be like trying to play Baldur's Gate on a console (and I mean the original, top down RPGs, as opposed to the hack n slash fests that were the Dark Alliance games). Try to control, in a tactical manner, 4 characters in real time. It's not happening with that dual-shock, thats for sure!

And then there are the shooters. Some people find using a console much easier for shooting games. Left stick moves, right stick aims, trigger shoots. I think these people are insane - using WASD and mouse just feels more intuitive for an aiming mechanism (that is, until someone hands me a kinect and an FPS that works with it).

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Duke Nukem Forever (assuming that Gearbox aren't rickrolling us by giving us a release date for DNF) and Bulletstorm are all games that fall into this category. AKA shooters that I am buying this year. For the PC.

In fact, the only game that I can think of right this moment that I would be buying for a console is Marvel vs Capcom 3. This would be a direct result of fighting games being utterly horrible on the PC, as well as controller and arcade sticks just working better for that style of game.

All of a sudden I'm glad I upgraded my PC...

PS: Just remembered another console game - Final Fantasy XIII-2. It had to be mentioned, because I needs MOAR FINAL FANTASY!

1 comment: