Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cosplay


This weekend, at some point, my girlfriend and I are going to plan how we're going to make our cosplay outfits for SMASH and Supanova - both being geek conventions that are held in Sydney (and in the case of Supanova, other cities too).

We have decided upon going as Suzaku and Euphemia from Code Geass. If you haven't seen Code Geass, stop reading, go watch all 50 or so episodes, and come back. I'm not going to make spoilers, its just that you're missing some awesome shit. Go on, get! Y'all come back when yer done, ye hear?

Now that you've spent the better part of three days marathoning anime (and what about that ending? Holy crap!), you know the extent of the outfit that is planned. Kinda.

I am going to be the second season version of Suzaku - which means I get to have an awesome cape. It also means I am doomed in terms of making an outfit.

Let's get one thing straight - I am artistically challenged. This extends to all form of creativity - drawing, painting, making the musics, and sewing. Well, my only real attempts at sewing were to alter an old grey trenchcoat I found to look vaguely like Anderson from Hellsing, and to put some finishing touches on a Maes Hughes outfit that my friend's mother did the bulk of the work on (for which I am eternally grateful). Also, don't read the text on that Hughes link if you haven't watched much of Full Metal Alchemist - spoilers abound.

The point is, this is the first time where I'll be hopefully doing the bulk of my own outfit. This means that it will likely look horrendous - due to a lack of skill and experience in this regard. I really hope it turns out, because we have a largish Code Geass group planned. Though, to be fair, 5 of the outfits are being made by one person. A single person who is actually talented at these things. Though I still feel this is cheating since I'm quite likely to fail, and the rest of the group will look so much better.

Hooray for optimism!

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of SupaNova - I need good ideas for cosplay ideas for me...

    Possibly something yaoi (which I know you won't have seen, so that's okay...) or just at least something I know that other people will be aware of...

    I was considering "Shounen Bat" but I doubt I'd get in with a metal bat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiiiie! Do not speak of failure before the task has begun. Who knows, you could have a hidden talent of sewing!

    Tiger, maybe this outfit for you? Since it's been released in Australia it will most likely be reconised at the con. That or just pick a character that fans associate with yaoi, even if it is not nessesarily so.

    http://images.elfwood.com/fanq/l/i/linneriksson2/ritsuka.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiger - you could try Leeron from Gurren Lagann :P

    Spritza - More than likely I'll sew my fingers to the cape :)

    ReplyDelete