Sunday, March 6, 2011

Caaaaaaaape!

A good chunk of Saturday was spent on the beginnings of my cosplay costume - Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass. The plan is to head to Supanova and SMASH! dressed as Suzaku, along with my girlfriend who will dressing as Euphemia. Aside from that, we have quite a large Code Geass group who will be there doing... well... anime convention-ey things I suppose.

So the first part of the costume that I was to work on (with Sarah and her mother's help) would be the cape. It is the most noticeable part of the outfit - as well as likely the simplest. Having spent some time a few weekends ago measuring and cutting the material, and Sarah having spent some time sorting out the yellow design to go over the blue, all I had to do was cut out the yellow design, sew the cape into its cape shape, and then pin the yellow designs to it - Sarah's mum will be handsewing the yellow onto the cape, although I will be doing at least some of it (I have to learn somehow, right?)


Ow, ow, ow, ow owowowowowow!

Sewing was weird... I kept having mental images of me managing to hurt myself in the process - but somehow I managed not to, and even did a fairly decent looking job!

I'm glad I wasn't made to do the ironing. The yellow parts needed the ends folded over (so that they don't look crap when sewn on), and so Sarah's mother did the ironing. An utter godsend, for multiple reasons. For starters, I've never ironed anything before, and so would likely start a fire. Let it be known that I do enjoy a good fire, but I would rather not burn their house down!

Also, Sarah's mother is in possession of the worst ironing board cover ever. As in, it is a dude (named Mark) wearing nothing but a towel. Apply heat, and the towel comes off. I am NOT MAKING THIS UP.


Why? Oh God why?

Avoiding that ironing board cover by concentrating on the sewing, I managed to come up with something fairly decent looking. All that's left for the cape is to actually get the yellow sewn on properly (all they are at the moment is pinned), sew the purple lining on the inside, and create and attach the awesome Elvis collar.


Not quite there yet, but you get the idea

Then comes the hard part - the suit.

2 comments: